Thoughts while drinking my Iced Tea here at Starbucks...
With Summer coming to a close...kids are going back to school, the days are getting shorter and my dog wants to come in the house a lot faster because the nights are getting cooler... Its causing me to reflect on what the Summer brought my way and where the days to come are leading me.
It's been a "different" kind of summer in a lot of different ways. At the beginning of it... I had plans to get so much done! I wanted to go a bunch of different places and see all kinds of people and be involved in their lives. Some of that DID HAPPEN, however if I am honest... I discovered that those plans...were MY plans and NOT The Lord's! It kinda hurts to admit that because I have always prided myself in the fact that I do everything I can to "listen to the Spirit of God" and to "follow where HE leads me". However...as I reflect back on the last couple of months...I am not so sure I have done that.
The Bible teaches me (and you too) to COMMIT to the Lord whatever it is I would do... and He would establish my plans! (Proverbs 16:3)
So what causes me to constantly want to "do it my way" and try to "push the round peg through the square hole"?! Honestly, I think its because I take my eyes OFF Jesus who is the author and perfecter of our Faith! There are so many things that distract us from the SIMPLE message of Christ... to know Him and to make Him known!
In my line of work, there are always those who are "speaking into my life"... if its not an actual person, its a leadership curriculum or some guru who "specializes" in church growth and personal growth as a pastor. Know what I mean? The real solution is to stay committed to The Word and to Prayer and to listening for the "Still Small Voice of God" that He whispers to me through the Holy Spirit!
I can't tell you how many times I have said to God... "Ok, God, here are MY PLANS... please bless them!" You can almost hear the laughter!
Through the "School of Hard Knocks", I am learning that I need to WAIT ON THE LORD and to listen for His still small voice when it comes to FOLLOWING where He leads instead of me telling Him what my plans are! Do you feel me?!
Isaiah 40:27-31 says this... (From The Message)
Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying,“God has lost track of me. He doesn’t care what happens to me”?Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening?God doesn’t come and go. God lasts. He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts.For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles,They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind.
Blessings to you!
Pastor Dan
So what causes me to constantly want to "do it my way" and try to "push the round peg through the square hole"?! Honestly, I think its because I take my eyes OFF Jesus who is the author and perfecter of our Faith! There are so many things that distract us from the SIMPLE message of Christ... to know Him and to make Him known!
In my line of work, there are always those who are "speaking into my life"... if its not an actual person, its a leadership curriculum or some guru who "specializes" in church growth and personal growth as a pastor. Know what I mean? The real solution is to stay committed to The Word and to Prayer and to listening for the "Still Small Voice of God" that He whispers to me through the Holy Spirit!
I can't tell you how many times I have said to God... "Ok, God, here are MY PLANS... please bless them!" You can almost hear the laughter!
Through the "School of Hard Knocks", I am learning that I need to WAIT ON THE LORD and to listen for His still small voice when it comes to FOLLOWING where He leads instead of me telling Him what my plans are! Do you feel me?!
Isaiah 40:27-31 says this... (From The Message)
Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying,“God has lost track of me. He doesn’t care what happens to me”?Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening?God doesn’t come and go. God lasts. He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine.He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts.For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles,They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind.
Blessings to you!
Pastor Dan

No comments:
Post a Comment