Monday, May 11, 2015

Are you a Control Freak?!


I think almost all men are control freaks. I think most women are as well. You may not think of yourself as a control freak, so I’ve developed some signs to see if you truly are a control freak. Signs like…
  • You freak out when others are driving. When you drive you are okay, but when the steering wheel is in the hands of another driver you squeal and grab onto things if a car comes within a football field from you. CONTROL FREAK!
  • You can’t delegate. You think to yourself it’s easier if I do it myself. Well, it is easier in that you don’t have to explain anything but the reality is it’s much harder to do all the work yourself. Janet Jackson’s Control + Chic’s Le Freak = CONTROL LE FREAK!
  • You have a hard time enjoying watching someone do something that you are good at. Why is this such a struggle? FREAK OF CONTROL YOU ARE!
  • You worry about things when you are not there to control them. AKA you have a hard time relaxing on vacation. YOU ARE A CONTROL FREAK. TAKE TWO CHILL PILLS AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING.
If one or more of the above are true about you then you might suffer from control freak-itis.
Now before you think I’m casting judgmental boulders at your face you need to know what inspired this post. 
I AM A CONTROL FREAK!  It shows up in a lot of ways in my life too! In my ministry... I am NOT a good delegator, in my personal life... I am NOT good at letting my family make decisions, in my own world.... I do not like to do the right thing even with my health.... because I WANT TO ENJOY HAVING CONTROL OVER WHAT I EAT AND HOW LITTLE I EXERCISE!!!!  What if? What if? What if? I could learn to LET GO and TRUST in the One Who Knows Me Best and Who Loves Me Most?!?!?!?!   You see I’m not only the author of this control freak post I’m also a member!!!!
The convicting thing is that I was freaking like it was my kingdom. It’s not my kingdom. In fact one of our core values at Faith Fellowship is “It’s God’s Kingdom, not ours.” It is so easy to forget that. It is so easy to want to control things like a dictator micromanaging control freak.
It’s not a problem to care about things. It is a problem to want to control all things. It shows that we have an unhealthy view of how important we are.
Pastor and author Rick Warren says, “humility is not thinking less about yourself, it’s thinking about yourself less.”
I love that quote.
Being a control freak isn’t healthy. Allowing others to come along side of you is healthy. Thinking about yourself so much that you act as if everything rises and falls on you is unhealthy. Being humble enough to know that it’s not about you is healthy.

I am in a Battle! Every stinkin day of my life!!!  I battle.... I need to remember that the BATTLE BELONGS TO THE LORD!!! My job is to ALLOW HIM to go before me and trust that HE will make my path straight. That HE will beat the Giants in my life and that HE is the Author and Perfector of my Faith! 
Faith Fellowship belongs to the Lord! The people of Faith Fellowship Belong to the Lord! The Plan and Purpose of this Ministry as it grows and moves forward... ARE THE LORD'S!!!
At the end of the day I’m thankful that it’s not all about me.
Do you struggle with being a control freak?

No comments:

Post a Comment