Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Don't grow weary...
Galatians 6:9
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
This has become my own personal "mantra" that I use to motivate myself to "stay the course" as it relates to the eating and health journey that I am on. This battle continues daily and I really have to "give it to the Lord" every single hour of every single day! Keep praying that the VICTORIES just keep piling up and results will be realized. In fact... check out my DELICIOUS mid morning snack... SNOW PEAS!
As much as this is a constant thought for me, in this post, I want to share another front that I battle daily on and one that is very tiresome at times.
In case you haven't noticed... people are dying all around us. They are not only physically dying, they are dying emotionally and spiritually. Way too many people are being OVERLOOKED by well meaning Christians who either are too distracted or possibly... don't know WHAT to do, to reach these hurting people in our midst.
When I heard God's call to be a pastor, I DID NOT WANT TO GO! I was working full time in a para-church ministry called Youth For Christ. Daily, my focus was on the un-churched teenager and kid in the Community who was being, for the most part...overlooked by "the church". (Note: this is a general statement... obviously not all churches are guilty of this. THANK GOD!, but, way too many are!) My "call" from God has always been that of an Evangelist. I don't apologize for that... thats my "calling". When God let me know that He wanted me to be a pastor... it did not sit well with me. MY EXPERIENCE with the Church had been one of dealing with people who were more concerned over a building or a program within the church or the way things were or were not being done within the church... and quite frankly... not very concerned with doing whatever it takes to touch the lives of hurting people and doing whatever it takes to make sure that they hear about and bring Jesus into their lives. So... THANKS, BUT...NO THANKS GOD.
To make a long story shorter... I responded to God and was obedient and now sit in the chair of a pastor. (Note to self... God is always right!) Now that Im doing this... I STILL see the same things as I always have... the contentment, the self centeredness, the apathy that has always been at the center of my distaste. Its in ALL the Churches. Even the one I pastor! People are naturally "bent" in this direction of "talking a good game, but no real action". Jesus dealt with it... when He looked Peter in the eyes and asked Peter... "Do you love me?" Peter answers "Lord, you know that I love you..." Jesus replies... "Then feed my sheep!" The implication here is that we must DO and LIVE OUT what we say we believe!
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing really terrible about Church promoting and programming that grows the church... but what are we teaching those who come in? Have you heard this before... "A CHURCH NEEDS TO BE A HOSPITAL FOR SINNERS, NOT A HOTEL FOR SAINTS"? Lots of Christians around me and on Facebook say these kinds of things... but rarely do you see it played out as a way of doing church! In fact, many "Church People" who I know love God... are the very ones who look down their nose at the ones who are broken, messy, hurting and packed full of sin! Even though they would never admit it... they actually have many of the same attributes of the pharisees who passed by on the other side of the street of the one who was lying in a ditch!
As the Church, we have to teach our people to look past the end of their own nose. We as pastors have to set the example though. I have to DIE to myself to the desires of MY flesh and ask God for the heart of Jesus for those who are so lost!
I confess my own selfishness. I confess my own complacency. I confess my own pride. I want to re-evaluate why I do what I am doing. I want to be "Jesus With Skin On" to those who are lost and those in need. When I see the one who is lying in the ditch.. I want to NEVER find myself walking on the other side of the street so I will not have to "get any of the mess on my hands".
Friends, to be MORE LIKE JESUS... we have to be willing to get messy with messy people. To have a pretty building and lots and lots of people in it... means nothing if we are not teaching these same people to get back out into the community and to walk and do life with those who are hurting. We have to teach an intimacy with Jesus that in turn, comes to life through our interaction who need to know Him in CRITICAL ways!
THIS PASTOR is re-committing to the call on his life to be Jesus With Skin On in the lives of the sheep he serves. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME.
I thank you Jesus for your AMAZING GRACE that has saved a wretch like me... and that has enable me to take the GOOD NEWS to those who are perishing. I pray for those who are BROKEN and HURTING. I pray for those who are deep in their sin and making terrible life choices. I stand with those who feel alone and simply need to know that they are loved by the One who knows them best and who LOVES them MOST!
In closing... this passion creates fatigue. The frustration of trying to get others to open up their eyes with little to no success... is overwhelming. Listening to others in the faith community and watching their posts on Facebook about their "happiness of messy and broken people getting what is coming to them" or about being happy that they are finally "Stopped" and "out of our neighborhoods"... is really making me sad. My mom always said to me... "be a part of the solution... not the problem". Instead of all the "Rah Rah Jesus"... lets BE JESUS in the life of those who are in need of Him so badly!
I apologize right now if this post has offended anyone... just being honest with my feelings.
Writers update: I had to stop before finishing this post for a phone call that came in....and again, God is incredible! It was someone within our church body who wants to explore something that we have been talking about... "Angel Houses" here in our Community. In a nutshell, they are homes that we as a church purchase that we place a "host family" into. Each home has a minimum of 3-4 bedrooms and the home is used to "take in" those who are either homeless, displaced, or returning back into society from incarceration. There are times when people lose their home due to finances or families splitting up and they have no where to go. The "Angel House" would be a short term place for them to stay, interact with a Christ centered family and be impacted by the unconditional love of Jesus.
Thank you Lord for that phone call! I hear you.
Labels:
authentic christianity,
change,
CHOICES,
faith,
fake,
Food Battle,
homeless,
hurting,
Hypocrites,
Love Jesus,
plastic christians,
real church,
WORRY
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment