Thursday, October 22, 2015

ENVY... Yuk!

This GREEN MONSTER is one of those things that is so widespread in our culture today... its almost considered a VIRTUE. "I've got what I have... but I sure do wish that I had what you have!... 
AND if possible... I WLL!"

I have also been guilty of ENVY in my thinking... but I wish that were not so! The Bible says:

"If you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil." (James 3:14-17)

Have you ever wanted something that someone else has? Have you felt that you have the "short straw" when everyone else around has gotten the "long one"!? 

I recently went to the YMCA to inquire about a Membership there. As I was walking around on my tour of the Facility... I was noticing all the "pretty people"... The ones who were playing basketball and weight lifting and swimming in the pool. I thought to myself... "Why can't I look like him?!" "I wish I had their good physical health and the lifestyle that accompanies it!" I was very unsatisfied with "what I possessed" as I was leaving that building. 

Then it hit me!

The one who hates God and who hates the creation of God...me, wants me to feel "short changed" and "less then" the person who is in eye shot! He wants me to feel defeated and ultimately then to give up and quit trying. 

Whether it is something like this or its as simple as wanting the bigger car, the larger house, the biggest church... or the most "stuff"... the mentality of ENVY has its grip on us and it doesn't want to let go!

What are you envious of? Does it eat at you and cause you to feel less worthy? Does your discontent worm its way into the way you act around others? Do others see you unsatisfied or dare I say it... ungrateful for what you currently have?

One thing that slapped me right in the face was when I took my first trip to a Third World Country. I went to Nicaragua and we spent our time in the "barrios" with people who seemingly had nothing. I felt so thankful for everything I had. THEN... the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and let me know that THEY HAD MORE THAN I DID! They were CONTENT and were at peace with the fact that even though they did not have material possessions, they had the bare necessities for survival and they had each other! I sat in our bus and wept as I realized that the sin of ENVY had its grip on me. Back in my day to day existence, I did not feel content... I wanted MORE. I wanted what others had. I had lost my feeling of contentment and appreciation for what I DID have!

Romans 1:29-32 (NIV)
"They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."

"Lord... forgive me. Please change my heart. Renew a RIGHT SPIRIT within me. Don't take your Holy Spirit from me, but rather... teach me your ways (That are HIGHER THAN my ways) so that I can be a follower of Jesus who is content and appreciative of the blessings that have been placed in my life!"

Blessings!


Pastor Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment