As I sit here over sipping my iced tea and enjoying the quiet of a Monday morning... I am reflecting on the message I spoke yesterday about ANGER and WRATH. One would think that I would be kind of "restless" on the heels of this topic... but this morning, Im not. Honestly... I feel empowered and relieved mainly because spoke to ME louder than anyone else in the room!
I've always had anger related issues in my life. Rather than be one of those people who violently lash out or react angrily, I internalize a lot of my anger. I let it fester like a cancer in my mind and it brings on a response of everything from avoidance to depression.
I get angry at myself over the dumbest things too... poor performance, my health (or lack of good health), lack of self discipline, the way I feel I am being treated by others... which just feeds my feelings of rejection and the fear of it... the enemy of God just seems to know which "buttons" to push in my head to cause this anger to "brew".
Yesterday, as I shared, the Holy Spirit was gently rebuking me and causing me to CHOOSE to deal with this mess in my head in a different way today. He has reminded me that the BATTLE BELONGS TO THE LORD! In fact, when I CHOOSE to let this anger/wrath control me... that I am "Giving the devil a FOOTHOLD" in my life and from there... he just leads me into other sinful thoughts and behaviors!
The Bible tells us; "In your anger... DO NOT SIN." (Ephesians 4:26). Being angry is not the sin... but there IS a "tipping point" or "a line that gets crossed" where our anger causes us to sin.
We are to be angry at the evil and the sinfulness in our world. We will have times where others or circumstances will arise our anger... but, what is important to consider is HOW we are responding in the middle of that anger.
God tells us to GET RID OF anger and bitterness and wrath and malice. Its NOT GOOD for God's Holy People He says... (Ephesians 4:31)
So... lets go back to MY head and heart.... As hard as a I try... the anger remains and like the game "Whack a Mole" it pops up its ugly head and consumes me at times!
Romans 7 is where Paul shared his own struggle with undoubting sin and his battle to see it gone... he says... "Who will RESCUE me from this body of death?!?!" "Thanks be to the Lord Jesus Christ!"
(Romans 7:25)
See there is my answer. I have to trust God to do what I cannot do!
When I FEEL these feelings... I have to STOP right there... and say "Jesus, I cannot control this."
Here are some additional "TIPS" to some PRACTICAL Anger Management:
1. Avoid frustrating situations by noting where you got angry
in the past (Mt 26:41; Pr 4:14-15)
b. Reduce your
anger by taking time, focusing on other emotions
(pleasure, shame, or fear), avoiding
weapons of aggression,
c. Respond calmly
to an aggressor with empathy or mild,
unprovocative comments or with no
response at all (Proverbs 15:1)
d. If angry, concentrate on the undesirable
consequences of
1) Tell yourself: "Why give them the satisfaction of knowing
you are upset?"
2) Or "It isn't worth being mad over."
e. Reconsider the
circumstances and try to understand the
1) Be tolerant of human weakness
2) Be forgiving (ask yourself if you haven't done something
as bad)
3) Follow the "great lesson of mankind: to do as we would be
g. Reduce your
frustrations
1) Find the source of your frustration, whether they be
people or subjects or situations
2) Attempt to reduce or eliminate your exposure to these
negative stimuli
h. Reduce
violent stimuli in your life
1) Choosing to avoid violent movies, violent and aggressive
friends is part of this approach
2) Be very selective with your friends so that they do not
goad you into anger and rage
3) Eliminate drugs and alcohol as stimulants of anger.
i. Reveal yourself
and understand others
1) Announce you may be having a bad day to others
2) Attempt to indicate to others they are having a bad day
and offer to listen or let them vent
j. Stop hostile
fantasies
1) Cease dwelling on issues or people which aggravate
2) Think smooth. Think cool.
k. Do not
escalate the violence - Aggressive action on your
part may cause an equally aggressive
response which starts a
vicious cycle
l. Suppress or
convert your violent reaction
1) Count to ten, take a deep breath, or go work out are
variations on this theme
2) Think of the source of the aggravation and whether a
violent reaction will accomplish any
purpose other than
remorse, which is not a goal
m. Cease using
temper to get your way - While successful in the
short term, using anger to win points
is a losing strategy
in the long run
n. Use stress
inoculation - This approach involves awareness of
our own irrational fantasies,
learning better understanding
of why others are weak when they show rage, and rehearsing
how to be calm in the face of angering stimulation
o. Disconnect
anger from frustrating people or issues or
desensitization
p. Consider
meditation and mild exercise to relax
The Apostle Paul tells us to think on GOOD stuff and the God of Peace will be with us!
(Philippians 4:8-9)
Look...ANGER... if Im being honest is a result of my PRIDE.
I desire for it to NOT have control over me and I am seeking HIM in an even GREATER WAY TODAY for the ridding of this emotion from my mind and heart so I can be MORE like Him to the people in my life and experience the REAL PEACE that passes understanding in my own thoughts!!!
You pray for me... Im praying for you!!!
Blessings!
PD


No comments:
Post a Comment