Thursday, October 15, 2015





We started a message series at Faith recently called "The Seven Deadly Sins". As I prepared for one of the messages... I got "kicked in the head" by the Holy Spirit! I have in my office... a paddle like apparatus that I call the "Holy 2x4"! This symbolic instrument serves to remind me that there are times in my life where the Spirit of God has to "Whack me upside the head" to get me to see something that SHOULD be obvious... but for whatever reason... isn't.

This SIN of Pride is one that just creeps up on you when you aren't even looking sometimes. In fact...I am fearful that its my pride that wants to brag about how I am trying to deal with this sin in my life! Its so subtle. It can appear as something that is no big deal and almost virtuous at times and yet when the layers of the onion are peeled back... there it is.... PRIDE.

The definition of Pride is: 


"A feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired."



As a Pastor, I have the opportunity to sit with others in the ministry from time to time and almost every single time I do... I am bombarded with a non stop litany of "Our Church is doing this..." and "Our Church did that...". How about this one... "We have over 500 coming every Sunday!" or I love this one... "We have been down in attendance some... we are constantly only getting just under a thousand each week...". I hear of building projects and of various accolades that either the Pastor or the Church are receiving from all kinds of "blessings". 


Now, before you label me as a "Guy with a serious problem"... let me state that I love to see and hear about how God is moving in our land! I am excited to see other churches experiencing growth by people coming to know Jesus. When others in the Body of Christ are experiencing favor and even financial blessing... its awesome to know that these folks are not lacking and in constant need!


However, there seems to be a "different spirit" in the room. Its a spirit of pride, ego, self... whatever you want to call it. 


Then, you know what... IT SETS ITS HOOK INTO ME!!!! DRAGS ME RIGHT DOWN THE PATH AND INTO THE CESSPOOL OF PRIDE/EGO! It Sucks!


The very thing I do not want to do... I find myself doing! (Romans 7)


Pride is a dangerous thing! It will put us in a place where we can easily experience a FALL and ultimately DESTRUCTION!



PRIDE SHOWS UP IN THE LIVES OF EVERYONE!

1.     The first issue we deal with when we struggle with PRIDE is; 
                SELF-CENTEREDNESS.
                       a.     Pride draws us to believe that we are the primary center of all things good.
                       b.     Pride promotes self sufficiency rather than God sufficiency!

THE TRUTH HERE IS… THE CREDIT IS NOT OURS!            BUT ALL PRAISE BELONGS TO GOD!

WHEN PRIDE PREVAILS…A FALL IS NEAR!         Prov. 16:18  Pride is a ticking time bomb!

God Hates the sin of pride. (Proverbs 16:13)  (Proverbs 8:13)

Pride is destructive in our lives! (Luke 18:9-14) It causes us to not see the need for self denial, for humility, for thinking about others above the needs of ourselves. It causes us to act in a way to make sure we “come out on top”.

How do we deal with Pride?
1.     Recognize it – This is the FIRST step!
2.     Repent of it – Do something about it before God does
3.     Ready yourself to fight it everyday!

God enables us to stand against pride in our lives. However, it can only happen when we understand His Grace and Mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment