Sunday, March 1, 2015

Still going...

Remember the Energizer Bunny going across the TV Screen beating his little drum and the caption and voice says... "Still Going!" Well, in this post, that is what I am SHOUTING.... "Im Still Going!!"

I am about 2 months into my LIFESTYLE changing and I would be lying if I said that it has been easy! This is a hard journey. It is full of temptation at every turn! Its not like alcohol or illegal drugs. For both of those things... there are acceptable substitutions. I can choose water over the drinking, I can choose other substances instead of the illegal drug that are not illegal and quite fulfilling. However, with food...its everywhere and you have to have it to survive. I know, I know... you are saying that I still have a choice as to WHAT kind of food would I dive into... you're right, but that food (you know... the mac and cheese kind) is everywhere I look!

It does seem that the choice making is a little easier each day... but reality is that it will always be a battle. Food that is harmful to me will always be on the menu... it will also be being eaten by the guy next to me, and when Im watching TV...there will come that ad...seems like every commercial break... that advertises for either Pizza Hut or Taco Bell... RUN FOR THE BORDER!!!

(Insert Health Report Here: I am faithfully taking my medications and my insulins, usually 3-4 injections per day. I am carefully choosing my foods that are low or at 0 Carbs per serving and I am checking my blood sugar levels 4-6 times daily so I can adjust my insulin to match the blood sugar levels with the amount of insulin I need to keep it all within normal ranges. Overall... I am doing really good. I have lost a total of about 35 pounds (mostly fluids) and my next appointment with the Endocrinologist is set for March 4th. I am excited to hear her interpretation of my overall progress!)

Just about a year ago... I had the honor of leading a young man who had been recently released from Jail... to The Lord! On the couch at his parents house... he asked Jesus into his heart and made the decision to turn 180 degrees and begin living his life for Christ! We both were really excited. Over the next few weeks... the thoughts of a life lived with Jesus were exciting and regular. About 1-2 months into his new walk... many of the old friends were reappearing back into his life, offering him opportunities to indulge in some of the same old vices. Before long, no matter where he was... the thought of "going back to what he knew" seemed very attractive and certainly enticing!

I remember the calls that came to me from this new follower of Christ... that sounded something like this... "Man, I am so sorry, but I fell tonight and I...." I would remind him to go to God... to pour out his heart and admit his fall. Then, I reminded him of Romans 8:1 that says... "There is NO CONDEMNATION for those who are in Christ Jesus!" He needed to pick himself up... dust himself off... and get back on the bike and ride!

Its the same with my food situation. I start my day with the intent of eating correctly. Sin takes every opportunity to present itself to me and there are times that I choose incorrectly. For example... I just got done, while preparing to write this, that I ate 5-6 Oreos! However, when I do blow it... I have to face the truth, admit it and yes...confess it to someone I am accountable to... and then get back on the track of making the RIGHT choice to eat healthy!

What about you?! When you mess up... does it totally derail you and you say to yourself... "Oh whats the use?!" and fall headfirst back into the sin that so easily entangles?! (Hebrews 12:1) Let me encourage you to confess your sin (1 John 1:9), choose again (Joshua 24:15) to do the right thing and press on! (Philippians 3:14)

Praying for you friends!

Dan


1 comment:

  1. Sin always presents itself as attractive and alluring but there are always consequences when we cave. Thank God that Jesus died for our sins so we will not be condemned forever. Thanks for sharing Dan and I am praying for you everyday.

    ReplyDelete